The new Prospectus Pack in Qigong and Medical Qigong is now available and provides more detail on all the Medical Qigong courses.
Courses in Medical Qigong.
- Postgraduate Professional Certificate in Medical Qigong: Cert.MQG
- Postgraduate Professional Diploma in Medical Qigong: Dip.MQG
- Master of Chinese Medicine Degree (specialising in Medical Qigong):
For details, see Masters Degree in TCM
- Doctor of Chinese Medicine Degree (specialising in Medical Qigong):
For details, see Doctoral Degree in TCM
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD) in Medical Qigong:
For details, see Health Giving Qigong
Duration:The Cert.MQG is a part-time modular programme, which comprises 4 modules of 6 days.
Attendance:Most modules require attendance for 2 or 3 long weekends which are spread fairly evenly throughout the year.
The next Certificate course will start in 2017 and will normally be completed within approximately 2 years.
Content:The course includes theoretical study and practical training. Assessment will include practical and clinical competence in Medical Qigong.
At the end of the Cert.MQG course students will:
- Understand the basic theoretical foundations of Medical Qigong and in particular the principles underlying the Sending Out of External Qi (Wai Qi Fa) treatment of illness.
- Recognise the historical roots of medical Qigong and the modern developments of medical Qigong sciences.
- Understand and competently apply the principles of Song (Relaxation) and Tong (Free-flow).
- Have developed a regular daily practice of health-promoting Qigong exercises to improve and refine their own Qi and regulate and harmonise the body, mind and spirit.
- Refine, cleanse and increase their own Qi, and activate their Potential Energy, to benefit themselves and their clients/patients.
- Be able to use their refined and improved Qi to augment their Acupuncture/TCM treatments (For example, by Emitting their Qi via the needles).
- Understand and apply the principles of Pai (Discharge), Xie (Expelling) and Bu (Tonification) and use a variety of methods/techniques of Pai, Xie and Bu.
- Be able to prescribe appropriate Qigong exercises for their clients/patients.
- Learn and practise three different methods of Emitting (Sending Out) Wai Qi.
- Be able to Emit Wai Qi to treat patients.
- Be fully aware of, and act in conformity with, contra-indications to using MQG in treating patients.
- Be fully aware of, and act in conformity with, the principles of Self-protection and fully utilise the techniques of Pai (Discharge).
- This course permits and augments the treatment of common illnesses.
This is a two-year part-time programme, comprising 8 modules of 6 days, including theoretical and practical training and assessment of practical and clinical competence in Medical Qigong.
The first year of the Dip.MQG will be identical to the Cert.MQG - the same 4 modules will be studied.
Note: Students who enrol for the Cert.MQG and successfully complete it may, at that stage, chose to enrol for the second year, to complete the Diploma course, providing places are still available.
At the end of the Dip.MQG course students will (in addition to the objectives defined above):
- Demonstrate enhanced abilities in all the objectives achieved in the first year programme (Cert.MQG)
- Understand the deeper theoretical foundations of Medical Qigong and its links to medical, philosophical and spiritual traditions of China.
- Understand the components of the "holistic" system of Medical Qigong, integrating as it does the human being with Nature.
- Learn, practice and use a wide range of enhanced methods of Song, Tong, Pai, Xie and Bu.
- Have developed a regular daily practice of enhanced health-promoting exercises and Medical Qigong exercises to further improve and refine their own Qi and regulate and harmonise the body, mind and spirit. Exercises will also be incorporated to harmonise Tian, Ren and Di (the Human Being and Nature).
- Further refine, cleanse and purify their own Qi, and activate, augment and enhance their Potential Energy, to benefit themselves and their clients/patients.
- Be familiar with the principles and requirements of Special Medicine (the use of Medical Qigong to treat serious medical conditions) and make progress in meeting these requirements.
- Be able to describe and demonstrate the principles and basic practise of special medical Qigong diagnosis (as distinct from standard TCM diagnostic protocols).
- Develop and improve the ability to treat patients with a variety of disorders using Special Qigong methods of treatment which incorporate resonance between the practitioner, patient and Nature.
- Be fully aware of, and act in conformity with, contra-indications to using MQG in treating patients with serious illnesses.
- Be fully aware of, and act in conformity with, the principles of Self-protection and fully utilise a wide range of techniques of Pai (Discharge).
- Learn to recognise and treat in accordance with the level of one's own Medical Qigong ability.
- This course permits and augments (subject to the practitioner's own level of health, well-being and Qigong practise) the treatment of serious diseases.
Who can apply
Those interested in pursuing postgraduate study of Medical Qigong are encouraged to attend one of the ICTCM's introductory Qigong workshops (Health Giving Qigong) and discuss the options with a member of the MQG faculty.
To complete full postgraduate training in Medicial Qigong, you need to already hold a Bachelor's level degree in TCM (the Lic.TCM as taught in the ICTCM is recognised as such).
Those wishing to practice Acupuncture and TCM as well as Medical Qigong are advised to complete the Lic.TCM Course and then do a postgraduate qualification in Medical Qigong. It may be possible to start Qigong studies during the three years of the Lic.TCM.
We now have some Lic.TCM graduates who have completed their Postgraduate Cert.MQG clinic within 6 months of graduating as an Acupuncture TCM specialist and who are thus qualified to treat clients with MQG as well as Acupuncture Moxibustion.
On successful completion of such MQG qualifications, graduates are automatically eligible to apply for entry to the Professional Register of Traditional Chinese Medicine - Medical Qigong section, and thus to take up a profession as a practitioner of Medical Qigong.